Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] error 54

2002-04-09 12:31:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] error 54
From: larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com (Larry Kingery)
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 12:31:09 -0400 (EDT)
Yes, this is right.

During backup there shoud be (at least) two connections between the
two machines, one from the server to the client on bpcd, the other
going from the client to the server on a dynamic port.  With a 54
error, the server connected to the client okay, but never heard back.

Usually this is caused by name resolution or routing errors, and can
be caused by tcp_wrappers (maybe xinetd if configured to honor
hosts.allow, I haven't tried this) rejecting the initial connection to
the client (but a connection was made at least to tcpd, hence we don't
get a 57 error).

Put VERBOSE in bp.conf, start a backup and watch the bpcd log.  You
should see where the client sees the connection from.  You can also
just use netstat with and without -n if you prefer.