Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] JNI HBA driver compatibility w/ NBU 3.4 + SSO

2002-04-08 17:38:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] JNI HBA driver compatibility w/ NBU 3.4 + SSO
From: ROBERT_JOHANNES AT udlp DOT com (Robert Johannes)
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 16:38:12 -0500
I have the 2.5.18 driver (released in June), and so far I have had
problems having SSO enabled.  I still don't know if it is a driver/SSO
interoperability issue or just an SSO issue.  But perhaps someone else
here can identify with the situation that I've gone through; my
environment is such that I have an stk L700, with 4 SDLT drives running
on fiber-to-scsi crosspoint 4200 bridges.  NBU DC 3.41_2, on solaris 8.
My problem was that I always ended up with unresponsive drives (wouldn't
respond to netbackup commands, or mt commands), and would always get
timeout messages when netbackup tries to clean the drives when there's
no cleaning tapes in the robot.  And yes, cleaning frequencies were not
defined, since netbackup does not support SSO with cleaning frequencies
defined.  Having the cleaning tapes in the robot helped, but netbackup
could not dismount the CLN tape after the cleaning, and subsequently
downed the drive.  The only way I could recover from this
unresponsiveness was by shutting down the fiber bridges, and the drives,
and powering them back on.

When I disabled SSO, the drives would still respond to NBU or mt
commands, even if netbackup couldn't find a CLN tape to clean the
drives.  Thus I could still use the drives, till I could find an
opportunity to manually clean them.  I still have SSO disabled since I
don't really need it right now, but like I said earlier, I don't know if
my problems were caused by the JNI driver/SSO combination.  I'm actually
curious about your experiences with the SSO and jni driver you have;
have you run into similar any issues, or issues of any other kind
related to SSO or the JNI driver?

thanks
robert