Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DB2 Restore

2002-04-07 07:01:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DB2 Restore
From: andyskates AT iname DOT com (Andy Skates)
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 06:01:39 -0500
I have a problem restoring a DB2 database using the NBU DB2 Agent.

Environment:

Server A (Source server):

DB2 server running NT4 (SP6a), running as a SAN Media Server,
NBU Datacentre 3.4.1_2, and the NBU for DB2 Agent.

Server B (Destination server):

DB2 server running NT4 (SP6a), running as a SAN Media Server,
NBU Datacentre 3.4.1_2, and the NBU for DB2 Agent.

Backing up to STK 9840 (SAN attached). The NBU Master Server is an NT4
(SP6a) server running NBU DataCentre 3.4.1_2

The backup of the DB2 database is run from a DB2 command line
on Server A, and completes successfully.

However my users want to restore this database to Server B, to do
some development work on it. They run the restore command
from a DB2 command line on Server B, but it fails with the
DB2 Agent error code 300.

This indicates that either:

1.      The image can't be found from bplist.
2.      The DB2 instance is incorrect
3.      There are incorrect entries in the DB2.CONF file

If a sample database is backed up on either server, it can be restored
to it's own server, but not the alternate server.

In the BPDB2 log on the alternate server (Server B) there is the
following message:

"db2-findImages: ERR - found no match from bplist list"

My view of what the problem is, is this:

The backups and restores are run from a DB2 command line, and are therefore
user directed backups/restores.

When the restore is run from the alternate server (Server B), NBU looks into the
Image Database of that server (and not the source server, Server A), in order
to run the restore, and therefore it doesn't find the image it is searching for.

Does anyone know of a way of running a user directed restore FROM the
alternate server?

Can I simply move the Image Database information for Server A into the
Server B directory?

What will the effect of changing the client name of Server B to Server A have?

Thanks,

Andy Skates

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup