Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backups too slow - need help increasing speed.

2002-04-04 13:42:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backups too slow - need help increasing speed.
From: leareth AT angui DOT sh (Matthew Hall)
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 10:42:26 -0800 (PST)
My 'backup' kicked off last night - didn't even manage to become
'backups' because the initial full took too long. My L9 tape
unit backed up 27gb without compression in 4 hours (from single disk
of client), leaving not enough time for my 60gb volume to be backed up
next before morning.

So I need a little help tuning things up (and fast).

Looks like multiple data streams may help - one of my clients
has the volume I want backed up on a E250 + A1000 w/RAID5. Has anyone
used the multiple data streams with this config? How many streams
can I use?

How adversely does this effect single disk machines?

Are there any other ways to speed up the backup process? Does my
initial speed seem reasonable?

Thanks!

--
It's always September somewhere on the 'net. | http://angui.sh
Another proud member of Eep's killfile.      | Unix Sys. Admin.