Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Duplicated faulty tape

2002-04-04 11:23:31
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Duplicated faulty tape
From: larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com (Larry Kingery)
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 11:23:31 -0500 (EST)
When spanning tapes, a new fragment is created.  You would have
written the entire image in one fragment on BK0011, but you ran out of
tape, so it had to start a new fragment on BK0016.

When it wrote to BK0002, the entire image was able to fit within one
fragment.

Remember, NBU duplicates IMAGES, not fragments.  The image was
sucessfully duplicated, it just didn't use the same number of
fragments to do so.

Here's some more info which probably doesn't apply to this example:

Another possibility would be multiplexing.  Copy 1 fragment 1 could
have been multiplexed with other stuff which forced it to start a
second fragment.

It's also possible to have different numbers of fragments if you copy
to a storage unit with a different fragment size.