Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: Veritas-bu digest, Vol 1 #1078 - 8 msgs

2002-04-03 07:31:08
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: Veritas-bu digest, Vol 1 #1078 - 8 msgs
From: erbilgic.ym AT pg DOT com (erbilgic.ym AT pg DOT com)
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 07:31:08 -0500
Hi David,

I heard from HP that, they prefer using SCSI with their LTO drives.  The
response I had could be because of 2 things
1)  HP can not qualify their drives with existing SCSI to Fibre bridges
2)  People that go to the Fibre direction might have too many problems/ can not
figure out how to get it working effectively in a reasonable time period.  So
they really do not want to go trough with it at this time (about 4 months ago)

I personally think the issue is #2.  I also had number of bad drives/problems
with the first batch of LTO drives from HP (not to say otherwise with other
vendors), and problems integrating them to Fibre (about a year ago).  But they
worked without a problem after the initial headache (and I did go trough the
same thing with Seagate too...).  As long term strategy, I see LTO's (and other
faster technologies) playing on a Fibre (shared) environment, so one way or the
other its got to work within the next few months :)

I hope this information helps, sorry for the late response -- Please let me know
if I missed a response to anyone. (is there a way to get 1 digest a day??)  :)

All have a great week.

Regards,

Yucel

Yucel M. Erbilgic