Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Implications of turning off s/w compresion?

2002-04-02 09:30:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Implications of turning off s/w compresion?
From: richard.hall AT ingenta DOT com (Richard.Hall)
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 15:30:43 +0100 (BST)
Recent discussion here has convinced me that we should never have set up
NBU s/w compression in the first place. ("Told you so"!!)

Before we turn it off ...

1) will this affect recovery from existing images?

2) or mess anything else up?

3) (For academic interest only, and to make sure I understand what is
   going on)
   Since our DLT7000s are currently managing ~5Mb/sec, I assume that the
   data is currently compressed on the client side, not decompressed again
   on the server side, and the drives are (roughly) achieving no further
   compression. And that, other things being equal, I can now expect to
   see them managing 10 Mb/sec, but with no reduction in backup time.
   Except perhaps in the tail of the backups, where the number of jobs and
   the total data rate is falling.

TIA,
 Richard Hall