Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] OTM and IDR clarifications..

2002-03-30 01:47:02
Subject: [Veritas-bu] OTM and IDR clarifications..
From: Vasudeva.B.V" <vasudeva AT apara DOT com (Vasudeva.B.V)
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 12:17:02 +0530

------=_NextPart_000_00BD_01C1D7E4.CC92E9A0

      Hi all..

      I am carrying out an Eval at one of the custoemr sites...ended up =
with some problems and doubts. The netbackup documents doesn't clarify =
on these..plese send in your comments.

        1.  OTM=20

               When backup of the whole 'C:\' drive was started with OTM =
enabled, it completed the backup partially. Exits with a status code 11. =
Suppose the total size od 'C' drive is 1.5 GB, it abcks up only abt =
450MB. The result is the same even after setting the Max cachee =
directory size to 0MB and with the 'Retry OTM' option enabled , as said =
in the veritas site. We tried out with all the guidelines for the OTM to =
work properly being given in the manual. The customer wnats to basicaly =
even backup the system files (OS fiels) and application files, using =
OTM. THere is some confusion of what OTM will enable us to backup and =
what not? Please clarify the limitations as to whether it should be used =
with only databases adn mail servers? Does it backup documents opened in =
MS Office applications? etc..

            2. IDR

                The same doubt with the IDR, whether after you ahve =
created the Boot diskettes for the Disaster recovery, does the data =
files being backed up also contain the OS files with the applications =
software installed on the machine? SHould we reinstall the OS and =
applications using the CD after we boot the machine using the boot =
diskettes? We didn't do the IDR exercise as he wanted us to clarify the =
OTM first. If OTM can copy the OS files, then he would allow to do the =
IDR option. The manual says=20
      "A DR (Disaster Recovery) file contains specific information about =
the computer you are protecting, including:
      Hard disk partition information, Network interface card =
information and NetBackup configuration information required to restore =
data files". Please clarify the same too adn if anyone has carried out =
the exercise before, send me the details of it.

            3. Backup speed over network

              The speed (data trasfer rate) over the 100Base-T network =
(this is a test bed, with no other machines on the switch) with the =
servers having 2 NIC cards teamed, was about 4-5MBps with file sizes of =
1-2 GB, when the file size increases or the directory size increases =
more than 4GB, the transfer rate starts with around 4MBps and drops to =
as low as 1.3MBps. This remains same whether compression si enabled or =
not. This is pretty much low when compared to the speed at which CA ARC =
Serve takes backup, even for a backup size of 7GB , the transfer rate =
was around 7-8MBps.=20

      Thanks adn regards
      Vasudev.
    =20
      =20

------=_NextPart_000_00BD_01C1D7E4.CC92E9A0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type><BASE=20
href=3D"file://C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft =
Shared\Stationery\sharedstuff\">
<STYLE type=3Dtext/css>.text {
        COLOR: #6633cc; FONT-FAMILY: tahoma; FONT-SIZE: 13px; FONT-STYLE: =
normal; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; TEXT-DECORATION: none
}
</STYLE>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.3103.1000" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY aLink=3D#ff9933 bgColor=3D#ffffff leftMargin=3D8 link=3D#ff9933 =
text=3D#000000=20
topMargin=3D0 vLink=3D#ff9933 marginheight=3D"0" marginwidth=3D"0">
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<TABLE align=3Dright border=3D0 cellPadding=3D0 cellSpacing=3D0 =
width=3D"100%">
  <TBODY>
  <TR>
    <TD align=3Dleft class=3Dtext vAlign=3Dtop>
      <DIV>Hi all..</DIV>
      <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV>I am carrying out an Eval at one of the custoemr =
sites...ended up=20
      with some problems and doubts. The netbackup documents doesn't =
clarify on=20
      these..plese send in your comments.</DIV>
      <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV>&nbsp; 1.&nbsp; <STRONG>OTM </STRONG></DIV>
      <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
      =
<DIV><STRONG>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</STRO=
NG>When=20
      backup of the whole 'C:\' drive was started with OTM enabled, it =
completed=20
      the backup partially. Exits with a status code 11. Suppose the =
total size=20
      od 'C' drive is 1.5 GB, it abcks up only abt 450MB. The result is =
the same=20
      even after setting the Max cachee directory size to 0MB and with =
the=20
      'Retry OTM' option enabled , as said in the veritas site. We tried =
out=20
      with all the guidelines for the OTM to work properly being given =
in the=20
      manual. The customer wnats to basicaly even backup the system =
files (OS=20
      fiels) and application files, using OTM. THere is some confusion =
of what=20
      OTM will enable us to backup and what not? Please clarify the =
limitations=20
      as to whether it should be used with only databases adn mail =
servers? Does=20
      it backup documents opened in MS Office applications? etc..</DIV>
      <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 2. <STRONG>IDR</STRONG></DIV>
      <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
      =
<DIV><STRONG>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
</STRONG>The=20
      same doubt with the IDR, whether after you ahve created the Boot =
diskettes=20
      for the Disaster recovery, does the data files being backed up =
also=20
      contain the OS files with the applications software installed on =
the=20
      machine? SHould we reinstall the OS and applications using the CD =
after we=20
      boot the machine using the boot diskettes? We didn't do the IDR =
exercise=20
      as he wanted us to clarify the OTM first. If OTM can copy the OS =
files,=20
      then he would allow to do the IDR option. The manual says <FONT=20
      size=3D2></FONT></DIV>
      <DIV><FONT size=3D2>"A DR (Disaster Recovery) file contains =
specific=20
      information about the </FONT><FONT size=3D2>computer you are =
protecting,=20
      including:<BR></FONT><FONT size=3D2>Hard disk partition=20
      information,</FONT><FONT size=3D2> Network interface card =
information=20
      and</FONT><FONT size=3D2> NetBackup configuration information =
required to=20
      restore data files". Please clarify the same too adn if anyone has =
carried=20
      out the exercise before, send me the details of it.</FONT></DIV>
      <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 3. <STRONG>Backup speed over=20
      network</STRONG></DIV>
      <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV><STRONG>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</STRONG>The speed=20
      (data trasfer rate) over the 100Base-T network (this is a test =
bed, with=20
      no other machines on the switch) with the servers having 2 NIC =
cards=20
      teamed, was about 4-5MBps with file sizes of 1-2 GB, when the file =
size=20
      increases or the directory size increases more than 4GB, the =
transfer rate=20
      starts with around 4MBps and drops to as low as 1.3MBps. This =
remains same=20
      whether compression si enabled or not. This is pretty much low =
when=20
      compared to the speed at which CA ARC Serve takes backup, even for =
a=20
      backup size of 7GB , the transfer rate was around 7-8MBps. </DIV>
      <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV>Thanks adn regards</DIV>
      <DIV>Vasudev.</DIV>
      <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></TD>
    <TD align=3Dright vAlign=3Dtop width=3D160><BR></TD>
    <TD align=3Dright bgColor=3D#ff9933 height=3D400 vAlign=3Dtop=20
  width=3D10>&nbsp;</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00BD_01C1D7E4.CC92E9A0--