Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Changing Master Servers

2002-03-27 16:48:22
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Changing Master Servers
From: mcavoy76 AT hotmail DOT com (Chris McAvoy)
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 15:48:22 -0600
We recently changed master servers in a small(ish) environment with 4 media
servers, all SAN attached, an L700 library and 3 9840 FC drives.

Because we had little to lose, we decided to experiment with the idea of
recreating the database on the new server, so that we could restore from the
new server.

This is what we did:

1) Built the new server

2) Copied the ~/netbackup/db/config/storage_units file from old to new.

3) Copied the ~/netbackup/db/images directory from old to new.

4) Copied the ~/netbackup/db/class directory from old to new.

each of the media that had active images left over from the old server.

The problem came with step 5.  We get the error: "EXIT status = no entity
was found (227)" when we run bpimage.

I started to think that the Master server wasn't associated with given
images, and that only the Media server name was important.  Since none of
our Media servers changed names, maybe the bpimage step was unnecessary.
So, to test, I ran a restore from an image created by the old Master server.
No luck, it says, "Can't connect on socket".  Now, when I try to restore an
image created by the new master server, I get the same "Can't connect on
socket" error.

Ultimately, we can back out the hand changes, and just let the tapes expire
on the old server, so we're not in a "danger position", this is more, "we
want to learn how to do this".

So, what steps are we missing?

Thanks,
Chris