Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Merging STUs

2002-03-18 15:54:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Merging STUs
From: Will.Enestvedt AT jwu DOT edu (William Enestvedt)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 15:54:01 -0500
Larry -- thanks for the quick reply! Much of this is as I suspected, but
informed confirmation makes for more confidence that "looks like it oughtta
work"!

> ...you can use 'Any available' storage unit regardless of drive type.
>
> I would want both of my units using the same drive type (that's
> more robust should one unit go belly up right when you need to
> do a restore).

   That what I thought, too: more flexibility in case something croaks.
However, is it a fact that I could only do a restore in a drive defined as
the same density as a tape? Oh, wait:

> NBU won't put a DLT2 tape in a DLT drive, or vice versa.

   D'oh!

> It's up to you whether it's worth the trouble to "fix" it
> now.

   It may be.
   Can you confirm my understanding of the procedure? It looks to me like
I'd have to delete the drive from the robot, add it new as a DLT drive
(instead of DLT2), and then change both Classes to use "Any_available" STU.
The media would have to be either new (to NBU), or deleted from the Volume
Database and added as if it were new. Have I missed something?
   Thanks again!
-wde
P.S. Has anyone out there done this, for whatever reason?
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator