Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Oracle Backups on a cluster

2002-03-15 16:14:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Oracle Backups on a cluster
From: MDay AT qrs DOT com (Day, Michael)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 13:14:38 -0800
I need some assistance with an Oracle backup on a Microsoft Cluster server.
Veritas tech support said I needed to get Veritas Consulting involved but
I'm hoping I don't have to go that route and will be able to get some help
from the vast array of talent available from this forum.

I was not able to understand the problem when our in-house Oracle DBA
explained it to me since we talk a different language.  He's a database only
guy and I'm a system's engineer with no knowledge of oracle databases.  I
think I understand it a little better now.

Here's the problem as described by the Veritas tech support technician:
"David (the DBA) is using Oracle 9i with Oracle FailSafe (Clustering) and
also using Microsoft Clustering. David is trying to perform 2 things. 1) He
has the CAT DB of each server running on the opposite server. For high
availability, this is a good thing.  He wants to back it up so how. 2) He is
trying to perform a cold backup, which of course requires the DB to be shut
down. The problem he has here is that the other node in  the cluster sees
that the partner server's DB just went down; Oracle FailSafe Clustering
performing as it should, tries to start the db on itself.

Does anyone have any scripts that will help in this situation?

Michael H. Day
QRS Systems Engineer
MCSE, MCP +I, A+

QRS Corporation