Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] novell netware backups half the data

2002-03-13 16:16:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] novell netware backups half the data
From: ROBERT_JOHANNES AT udlp DOT com (Robert Johannes)
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 15:16:15 -0600
Hello fellas,
I have novell clients that backup to a solaris 8 master/media server,
and one thing I'm noticing is the consistant backup of any where between
30% to 80% of the data in any given volume.  I don't believe this has to
do with the open files issue, since in a typical full backup there might
be perhaps 30 to 500 files that can't be backed up in a 1 million file
volume.  As an example, the above scenario applies to a volume that is
92 gigs in size, but when it is backed up, only 54gigs is backed up, and
the exit status is ofcourse always 1, because I'm not using otm with
these clients.

Has anyone seen similar behaviour in their environments?  We are running
Novell 5.1 SP3, and netbackup 341_2 on the server.

thanks
robert