Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Disk to Disk Backups

2002-03-06 18:18:02
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Disk to Disk Backups
From: scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com (scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com)
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 17:18:02 -0600
Snapshots are "cool" and they're great for many things, but as you mentioned
they have a small foot print.  That's because it's just the pointers to the
original data and any changed data made throgh a "copy-on-write" process.

It will help if you drop a table accidentally or need to roll-back to the way
things used to look before that bad batch job.

If there is actually corruption of the data the pointers are just pointing to
bad data.  It won't help your recovery in this case!

- Scott

                    Chris Brewer

                    <cgbrewer AT rmbsc DOT com>                 To:     "'Rick
Keahey'" <rickkeahey AT hotmail DOT com>
                    Sent by:                             cc:     veritas-bu AT
mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
                    veritas-bu-admin AT mailman DOT eng.        Subject:
RE: [Veritas-bu] Disk to Disk Backups
                    auburn.edu

                    03/06/2002 04:33 PM

What about snapshots and BLIB (block level incremental backups). I've not
used them (hope to soon), but the theory is intriquing as it has a very
small data footprint and rapid recovery, among other things...

For official email, please respond to cgbrewer AT kpmg DOT com

Chris Brewer
UNIX Systems Consultant
Rocky Mountain Broadband Solution Center
KPMG Consulting, Inc.
6399 S. Fiddler's Green Circle #400
Greenwood Village, CO 80104

720-493-7992