Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: [Veritas-but] Auto cleaning of drive in STY L700

2002-03-04 18:58:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: [Veritas-but] Auto cleaning of drive in STY L700
From: Andrew.Wilkin AT ditm.nsw.gov DOT au (Andrew Wilkin)
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 10:58:35 +1100
Hi Tim,

I'm by no means an expert of this matter, I have asked questions of
engineers and from what I've read/observed, this is how I understand the
Hardware Cleaning takes place.

First off, you must have a cleaning cartridge in the Tape Library and it
must "see it". I have a STY 9714 library, my cleaning tape MUST go into slot
00, this is a reserved slot. I also had an issue a few months ago were I
couldn't use the front menu to exchange the cleaning tape, apparently this
was fixed with a STY firmware upgrade as it started working after I had the
engineer upgrade my libraries firmware.

Within Veritas turn-off it's capability for cleaning the drives. Veritas now
won't monitor when the drives need cleaning. What you want to happen is for
the library to "sense" when a drive requires cleaning and let the library to
it rather than cleaning after X number of hours use.

The down side with the hardware cleaning is that you have to monitor when
the cleaning tape has expired (after 20 uses). My library allows me to view
how many times the cleaning tape has been used and also when the cleaning
tape has expired it displays and asterisk (*) on the main menu of the
library.

I'm running NUB of a HP platform, HP have a product called EMS which can be
used to inform me when the Cleaning Tape has expired, at the moment I'm
looking at this to build a script around it.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Andrew Wilkin
Computer Systems Analyst

Department of Information Technology & Management
Land & Property Information - New South Wales

Panorama Ave
BATHURST, NSW, 2795, AUSTRALIA

Ph: (02) 6332 8397
Fx: (02) 6332 8457
E-mail: Andrew.Wilkin AT ditm.nsw.gov DOT au
WEB: www.lpi.nsw.gov.au <http://www.lpi.nsw.gov.au>