Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Autocleaning of drive in STK L700

2002-03-04 07:24:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Autocleaning of drive in STK L700
From: Louis.Francoeur AT mdsps DOT com (Louis.Francoeur AT mdsps DOT com)
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 07:24:51 -0500
To use the hardware cleaning of the library, your cleaning tape are not seen be
Veritas.
You have to use the front panel of the library to "import" and "export" your
cleaning tape.
The only probelm with that is that you don't know when your cleaning tape is
expired.
(In my case, an monitoring agent (HP-UX EMS) tell me to clean the drive; I go
see and then the cleaning tape is expired, change the tape and voila)
The other way to check your cleaning tape is to verify the panel on your library
(not very pratical).

Note: I was told not to put more that a couple of cleaning tapes because if
there is a problem with a DLT drive,
            it will go through all the cleaning tapes in the library. (In case
of problems, the drive thinks it is dirty)

If you need more information, you can look it up in the operator manual of the
library.
I have it in pdf format if you need it.

And that why I don't understand receiving the message in my syslog, since that
message came from a veritas daemon.
And yes, all my drives  are set to 0. Could it be the fact that veritas is not
seeing a cleaning tape?
I have now resetted the mount time of the drives to see what it does (All the
drives were about 2000 hrs).

ltid[11688]: Automatic cleaning of TLD(0) drive index 4 failed because there is
no cleaning tape or the cleaning tape is used up

Also note: it is always the same drive that wants to be cleaned.

HP-UX 11.0
StorageTek L700
7 DLT 7000 drives
Veritas 3.4.2

Louis Francoeur
Unix System administrator
MDS Pharma Services

"Timothy J. Arnold" <tim AT ngfl.gov DOT uk> on 03/04/2002 05:01:50 AM