Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Multiplexing

2002-03-01 17:19:25
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Multiplexing
From: jlkennedy AT amcc DOT com (Jeff Kennedy)
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 14:19:25 -0800
I have created a seperate class for each of my 5 Netware servers.  Maybe
that's not the best practice but that's how it is right now.  I want to
multiplex 3 of these to a single drive and 2 to another.  The storage
unit is set to max 4 multiplex but the schedule is set to 1.  I
understand that both need to be adjusted, but it reads to me that the
multiplex number by schedule assumes mutiple clients per class.  So what
happens to me with only 1 client per class?  Am I screwed?

I am looking at multiplexing because on a Sun E250 I am finding that one
cpu is at 95%+ idle while the second is 0% idle, with 90% cpu being used
in a wait state.  I watch my drives with iostat and I'm seeing several
hundred k to 5mb/sec thruput per drive (dlt7k).  5mb/sec would be fine
but it shoeshines between the 2 extremes, so I want to just blast a
drive as hard as I can.

As always, suggestions for improvement in my methods are welcome.

Thanks.
--
Jeff Kennedy