Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Disabling drive cleaning completely

2002-02-22 16:12:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Disabling drive cleaning completely
From: ROBERT_JOHANNES AT udlp DOT com (Robert Johannes)
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 15:12:46 -0600
I have 4 superdlt drives in an L700 configured for multihosted
environment (with SSO).  The drives are connected via a scsi-to-fiber
bridge (crosspoint 4200, to be specific).  As I understand it, SDLT
drives clean themselves, for that reason, I don't have cleaning tapes in
the robot.  I've observed that whenever nbu tries to clean the drives,
all the drives stop responding to nbu commands; thus backups or restores
will sit, while netbackup waits for a response from the drives, which
never comes. The only way to recover from this is by entirely rebooting
the machine.

Has anybody else experienced this behaviour?  I figure if I can stop nbu
from attempting to clean the drives all together, the drives then
wouldn't hung.  Is there a bp.conf option, or some other option that
completely disables any sort of cleaning of the drives?

thanks
robert