Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU Server Rebuild

2002-02-21 15:13:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU Server Rebuild
From: cgbrewer AT RMBSC DOT COM (Chris Brewer)
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 13:13:23 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1BB14.36FA06E0

Howdy all,

New to Netbackup, new to the list! I'm coming into an environment where NBU
3.41 is running on Win2k Advanced Server (ha). This box is having so many
issues (some hardware [raid controller]) and some (I think) software. The
STK L40 robot (dual LTO drives) has gone thru several firmware revs, as have
the LTO drives themselves. Additionally, the catalog size is getting large
enough to cause concern with the server's small available drive size (not to
mention that the data resides on one disk w/no RAID!). I would like to start
with a fresh install on a new box with more HD space in a RAID-5
configuration, where I can keep change control logs from the get go. I've
seen postings indicating that hostname should stay the same, and am prepared
to do so.

Can someone point me to docs or provide info outlining how to accomplish
this? Is it as simple as a NBU 3.41 installation on the new box, and a
recovery of the catalogs off tape?

Many thanks!

Chris Brewer
UNIX Systems Consultant
Rocky Mountain Broadband Solution Center
KPMG Consulting, Inc.
6399 S. Fiddler's Green Circle #400
Greenwood Village, CO 80104

720-493-7992

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1BB14.36FA06E0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>NBU Server Rebuild</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Howdy all,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">New to Netbackup, new to the list! I'm =
coming into an environment where NBU 3.41 is running on Win2k Advanced =
Server (ha). This box is having so many issues (some hardware [raid =
controller]) and some (I think) software. The STK L40 robot (dual LTO =
drives) has gone thru several firmware revs, as have the LTO drives =
themselves. Additionally, the catalog size is getting large enough to =
cause concern with the server's small available drive size (not to =
mention that the data resides on one disk w/no RAID!). I would like to =
start with a fresh install on a new box with more HD space in a RAID-5 =
configuration, where I can keep change control logs from the get go. =
I've seen postings indicating that hostname should stay the same, and =
am prepared to do so.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Can someone point me to docs or =
provide info outlining how to accomplish this? Is it as simple as a NBU =
3.41 installation on the new box, and a recovery of the catalogs off =
tape?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Many thanks!</FONT>
</P>

<P><B><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Chris Brewer</FONT></B>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D1 FACE=3D"Arial">UNIX Systems Consultant</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D1 FACE=3D"Arial">Rocky Mountain Broadband Solution =
Center</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D1 FACE=3D"Arial">KPMG Consulting, Inc.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D1 FACE=3D"Arial">6399 S. Fiddler's Green Circle =
#400</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D1 FACE=3D"Arial">Greenwood Village, CO 80104</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D1 FACE=3D"Arial">720-493-7992</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

</BODY>
</HTML>