Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Upgrading host hardware

2002-02-19 14:45:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Upgrading host hardware
From: benson AT speakeasy DOT org (Benson Miller)
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:45:06 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C1B93A.E01C7E50

As part of upgrading my environment from SCSI to FC, I want to upgrade =
the hardware on my NetBackup master server (the only NBU server in my =
environment). Clearly, I'd like not to expire the media written by the =
old master server. Is the best way to manage this to simply to perform a =
recovery on my new hardware?=20

I don't really care about my old class configuration. Can I just do a =
fresh install of NBU and immediately copy the /usr/openv/netbackup/db =
and /usr/openv/volmgr/database files to the new server? It seems to me =
that this will allow me to provide the new host with an appropriate new =
configuration while still retaining access to the media written by the =
old server. Is this wrong-headed?

As a somewhat related note, is it possible for two master servers to =
share a volDB to facilitate using the 'bpmedia -movedb' command?

Thanks in advance,
Benson Miller

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C1B93A.E01C7E50

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>As part of upgrading my environment =
from SCSI to=20
FC, I want to upgrade the hardware on my NetBackup master server (the =
only NBU=20
server in my environment). Clearly, I'd like not to expire the media =
written by=20
the old master server. Is&nbsp;the&nbsp;best way to manage this to =
simply to=20
perform a recovery on my new hardware?&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I don't really care about my old class=20
configuration. </FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Can I just&nbsp;do a =
fresh install=20
of NBU and immediately copy the /usr/openv/netbackup/db and=20
/usr/openv/volmgr/database files to the new server? It seems to me that =
this=20
will allow me to&nbsp;provide the new host with an appropriate new =
configuration=20
while still retaining access to the media written by the old server. Is =
this=20
wrong-headed?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>As a somewhat related note, is it =
possible for two=20
master servers to share a volDB to facilitate using the 'bpmedia =
-movedb'=20
command?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks in advance,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Benson Miller</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C1B93A.E01C7E50--