Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Meaning of MPX

2002-02-11 15:21:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Meaning of MPX
From: david AT xbpadm-commands DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 14:21:43 -0600
MPX - is the ability to combine data from multiple sources (clients) to one
destination (tape).

An MPX value of 1 inidicates multiplexing is off or disabled for that
schedule.  Multiplexing must be greater than one to truly be multiplexing.

MPX value as it is associated with a storage unit is defined as the number
of multiplex streams this storage unit will allow per drive.  For example an
MPX value of 4 for Storage Unit ABC that is allowed to use 8 drives means up
to 32 streams can be managed by this single storage unit.

That said, it is important to remember that MPX must be configured in two
places with NBU, the Storage Unit and the  Schedule.  If the Storage unit is
configured for 4 streams per drive and the class that is running has a
schedule with an MPX value of 1, only one stream will sent from that class
per drive.

David

David A. Chapa
NetBackup Consultant
DataStaff, Inc.
http://www.consulting.datastaff.com
847 413 1144
NBU-LSERV AT datastaff DOT com - Adv. Scripting
http://www.xbpadm-commands.com