Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Moving a backup/media server to a new platform

2002-02-07 09:38:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Moving a backup/media server to a new platform
From: Ryan.Anderson AT udlp DOT com (Ryan Anderson)
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 08:38:56 -0600
At what point do you plan to upgrade NBU? I had moved NBU from a Solaris
2.6 to Solaris 8 system (keeping the hostname), but I upgraded NBU to a
version which runs on both OSes before moving in the event I had trouble
upgrading NBU on the new OS. In your case it could be helpful to upgrade
to NBU 3.2 w/patches on your 2.5.1 box. Then once its moved over to the
Solaris 7 box, then upgrade NBU to 3.4. While I don't think this is
necessary, planning it out is. Some people have reported the 3.1 ?>
3.4 upgrade doesn't work well, though it is supported by Veritas.

RCA

--
Ryan C. Anderson
Unix Administrator

>>> "Jeffrey Dykzeul" <Jeffrey_Dykzeul AT west.raytheon DOT com> 02/06/02
02:59PM >>>
Current backup/media server platform:

     Sun SPARCserver 1000 (8x85MHz, 1GB memory)
     Solaris 2.5.1
     NetBackup 3.1
     StorageTek 9714 tape library (4 x DLT7000)

I want to move the backup/media server to another platform:

     Sun E3500 (4x336MHz, 2GB memory, 4 empty Sbus slots)
     Solaris 7
     upgrade NetBackup to version 3.4
     attach same library

The hostname will *not* move - the new server has a different
hostname.

Has anybody performed a similar rehost? What are the steps to take and
what
are the major issues?

jd