Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Graphing NetBackup Statistics with RRD TOOL (wha t to graph?)

2002-02-06 06:30:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Graphing NetBackup Statistics with RRD TOOL (wha t to graph?)
From: plb AT iotk DOT com (Peter L. Buschman)
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 12:30:43 +0100
Ken:

Drive utilization is an easy one.   I might do that next.*

Throughput statistics per drive are easy on Solaris (iostat -xnM) but much
tougher on other systems since
NetBackup doesn't track this data.  Does anybody know if there are ways to
get this data on Windows?

Throughput per job is an easy calculation to make, but you end up with an
average over the entire run of
the job, not the peaks and valleys over time.  RRD TOOL has ways of working
around this, but the database
would have to be populated at every step interval to track the growth of
the kbytes counter in the job record.
(This would probably necessitate running bpdbjobs too frequently.)  Right
now, I can update on 5 minute intervals
going back 48 hours, but only having to run bpdbjobs once.  My logging
script is very efficient and not tied to
the time interval it graphs.

Average throughput per job is a great one to add to a gannt chart that
shows the time period for which the
job ran.  I like this thought a lot (a colored line for each jobid and the
average throughput as a subscript.)
RRD TOOL isn't the right graphing tool for this one, but there are other
graphing modules out there.*

The wheels are really turning now..... there are some interesting
directions we could go in terms of "backup visualization."

--PLB