Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] assigned vs reserved

2002-02-04 20:23:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] assigned vs reserved
From: jvanclea AT amazon DOT com (Jeff Van Cleave)
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 17:23:39 -0800
We use the following two programs to get information:

/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmdareq
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmoprcmd

vmdareq shows the scanhost and the reserved tapedrives. vmoprcmd shows which
tapedrives are assigned and the mounted tapes.

What, exactly, is the difference between reserved and assigned?

Also, does anyone know the correlation between these two programs? We have a
situation where a drive is "locked", IE reserved and assigned to a
particular media server. We try using vmdareq -release to free up the drive
(even reserving it to another server) but that change does not show in
vmoprcmd and when the backups run, the drive is still considered locked.

The only way, it seems, to free up the tapedrives that are assigned and
reserved (after backups have finished running, this is part of a larger
problem) is to restart the daemons.

Any help appreciated,

Jeff