Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] fragment question

2002-01-28 11:03:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] fragment question
From: Jeffrey_Dykzeul AT West.Raytheon DOT com (Jeffrey Dykzeul)
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 08:03:39 -0800
Jeff,

This text snippet is from my notes taken during a recent NBU class at
Veritas:

Fragmentation

  This concept is related to how a backup image is created on backup
  media.
        No fragmentation - A backup image is created in a single TAR
                 image. Locating an individual file within the image
requires
                searching from the beginning of the image.
        Fragmentation - A backup image is fragmented into smaller TAR
                 images of "Fragment Size" size, which can be used to
enable
                 fast block location when searching for an individual file.

  The default fragment size is 0, which means fragmentation is not
  enabled at all. For tape the fragment size can be 50MB or greater.
  Fragmentation is configured per storage unit

jd

"Jeff Kennedy" <jlkennedy AT amcc DOT com>@mailman.eng.auburn.edu on 28/01/2002
07:11:18

Sent by:  veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu