Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SGI and Netbackup/ Drive problems with LTO

2002-01-24 13:55:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SGI and Netbackup/ Drive problems with LTO
From: joe.luchtenberg AT data-line DOT com (Joe Luchtenberg)
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 13:55:15 -0500
> Any sugestions to backup 5 TB over the network in 10 hours ;)

By my calculations that is:

5TB   | 1hr     | 10^6MB | 8Mb
-------------------------------  =  1111Mb/sec
10hrs | 3600sec | TB     | MB

I.e. more than a Gig pipe before figuring in any inefficiencies.

Also, assuming approximately 12MB/sec/drive uncompressed for current
technologies (SDLT, LTO, AIT-3), I get the following:

5TB   | 1hr     | 10^6MB |
------------------------------------------  =  11.6 drives
10hrs | 3600sec | TB     | 12MB/sec/drive

I.e. at least 12 tape drives.  Depending on the nature of your data, of
course, this number might be reduced due to compression.

You can do it but it'll be $$$.

Joe Luchtenberg
Dataline, Inc.
Email:  <mailto:joe.luchtenberg AT data-line DOT com>
Phone:  757-457-0504 (direct line)
        757-858-0600 (front desk)
        757-285-1223 (mobile)
Fax:    757-858-0606