Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU converting from DLT to LTO

2002-01-19 19:11:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU converting from DLT to LTO
From: rob AT worman DOT org (Rob Worman)
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 18:11:05 -0600
>    Is there a way to migrate data from one tape format to another?
>I've got some
>500+ dlt tapes I want to move to a new LTO library. Duplicating requires the
>tapes to be within the same storage unit correct?

duplication has no location requirements in terms of
source/destination storage unit, media server, media type, etc.

You could duplicate from an image written to a disk on a media server
in NYC to an LTO tape owned by a media server in LA.

But if there would be two different media servers involved then you
risk a slowdown going over the network.  I think most people try to
keep their duplication activity local to one media server if at all
possible.

HTH
rob