Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] STK L700-Drives down

2002-01-03 18:09:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] STK L700-Drives down
From: mike.powers AT abnamro DOT com (mike.powers AT abnamro DOT com)
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 17:09:27 -0600
I seem to be having a similar problem, but on 3.2. If you ipl the drive,
then the tape will mount.
This is also in a SSO environment.

Sun recommend this patch

Patch #112066-01

*****************************************************************************************************************************

    Provides a workaround for a Solaris tape driver (st) bug where
    an attempted access of a drive when no tape is loaded, leads to
    a condition where the drive remains SCSI reserved.  When the drive
    remains SCSI reserved, attempts to access the drive from other
    hosts will fail, due to a system error such as "write protected
    or reserved".

    If a bridge is rebooted or some other error situation occurs
    while using the passthrough driver, the avrd process will resort
    to using the st driver in order to scan the drive.  With the
    st bug, the drive may be left SCSI reserved.

    If an administrator resets a DOWN'd drive, ltid will attempt to
    access the tape drive, which may leave the drive SCSI reserved,
    again because of the st bug.

Workaround:
    Disable SCSI reserve/release in the Solaris st drive
    configuration entry for all configured multihosted drives.
    See ST_NO_RESERVE_RELEASE in the st(7D) man page on Solaris.

        (Solaris Media Manager servers)

"David A. Chapa" <david AT xbpadm-commands DOT com>@mailman.eng.auburn.edu on
01/03/2002 03:05:44 PM

Sent by:  veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu