Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Nevermind

2002-01-02 12:42:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Nevermind
From: scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com (scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com)
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 11:42:23 -0600
If it needed to be deassigned then you either had valid images still on the
tape or the tape didn't unassign properly.

A tape won't be able to unassign if the media server that had the tape can't
be contacted.  This usually happens when a media server is decommissioned
without first moving the information from it's media DB to another media
server.  I think there may also be some steps to avoid this when renaming a
media server.  This is also why it is important to back up the catalogs on the
media servers as well as the master.

There are two types of dbs for the tapes:
1.) Volume DB.  Media Manager component (part of NetBackup but also part of
Storage Migrator).  This keeps information on the tape such as robot, slot, #
of mounts, whether or not it is assigned, etc.  This exists on a Volume
Databse Host.  It is recommended that you only have one and that it is the
Master.  This is maintained with the volmgr\bin commands (usually start with
vm).
2.) Media DB.  This also contains information about tapes, but specific to
NetBackup like status (full, frozen, mpx), expiration date, retention level,
KB, last read date, last written date.   Each media server has a Media DB.
This is maintained with the NetBackup\bin\admincmd commands (usually start
with bp)

For a full description on how these work together look at the Functional
Overview appendix in the Troubleshooting Guide.

- Scott

                    Nicholas Pesce

                    <ewunipe AT sd.us.am.ericsson DOT se        To:
Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
                    >                                    cc:

                    Sent by:                             Subject:
[Veritas-bu] Nevermind
                    veritas-bu-admin AT mailman DOT eng.

                    auburn.edu

                    12/31/2001 05:33 PM

Figured out needed to deassign tapes.  Still does not explain why
these tapes are not recycling on their own though.

Nicholas Pesce         |
System Administrator   |
Ericsson Wireless Unit |
Ph# 858-332-6140       |