Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re-using Tapes

2001-12-19 19:05:17
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re-using Tapes
From: ddunham AT taos DOT com (Darren Dunham)
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 16:05:17 -0800 (PST)

> I need to reuse tapes at a remote location. However, I need to check if the
> backups from previous day were successful and then expire them before I
> reuse the tape. Can I expire day-1's images only from a tape so that I can
> use the  space for day-3 making sure day-2's backups went fine. I cant
> expire the whole tape.

Hmm?  Are you saying that you want to overwrite an earlier portion of a
tape while leaving a later portion intact?

Even if Netbackup supported that (I don't think it does), most tape
drives will not allow that at all.

In most drives, writing anywhere on a tape makes all later data
inaccessible.  Simply rewinding a tape and writing an EOF at the front
erases a tape unless you start playing some hardware tricks or have your
own drive firmware to do debugging/tape reconstruction.

Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company
          < How are you gentlemen!! Take off every '.SIG'!! >