Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SSO

2001-12-06 21:33:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SSO
From: fx AT Veritas DOT com (fx [François-Xavier Peretmere])
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 03:33:37 +0100

 Not sure I understand :

> Just want to confirm something, and open this up for input/feedback
> We are creating a seperate backup network, which will have only 1
> master/media server.  Two sets of tape drives will be used.  One
> group/library is fibre connected to a SAN so that SAN aware clients
> can backup to those,

 How will the data move between those clients and the drives? FC?
then your clients are media server, not just clients.

> Another set is connected directly to the backup network so
> that SAN unaware clients can backup to those.

 So data will move from those clients trough the network to
the master server which will write them to tape trough FC.
Am I right?

 Now, if you allocate drives to server permanently, ie. whatever
the time, server s1 can access to drive d1, and drive d& can only
be accessed from s1 then no SSO involved.
If this is dynamic, ie. some drive can be reached from at least
two servers (machine with NB code on it), then SSO is needed.

 I'm not sure I understood what you mean, please correct me
if necessary.

 Amicalement, fx.

--
    fx AT Veritas DOT com        | "You know it's love when you memorize
François-Xavier Peretmere |  her IP number to skip DNS overhead."