Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SSO

2001-12-06 21:01:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SSO
From: larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com (Larry Kingery)
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 21:01:35 -0500 (EST)
If it backups up (via SAN for example) to a tape drive without going
accross a network, it's a media server.  So, if I understand your
configuration correctly, your "SAN aware clients" will be media
servers.  If these servers will only backup themselves and not other
clients via the network, you can get what's known as a SAN media
server.

If a single drive may be accessed by more than one server, you need
SSO to handle drive allocation.

I'm not sure what you mean by having some drives "connected directly
to the backup network".  I'm assuming you mean that these are
connected to the master/media server, which is connected to the backup
network.

Multiple media servers may be used for a number of reasons.
Redundancy is certainly one.  Load balancing might be another (put a
media server on each subnet in situations where you can't put a
network interface for each subnet on your current media server).  If
you have very large clients, you may consider making them media
servers to take the load of the backup network.

HTH,