Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Tape library contents -- mismatch detected? (SUM MARY of responses)

2001-11-27 10:25:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Tape library contents -- mismatch detected? (SUM MARY of responses)
From: d AT kla-tencor DOT com (Smith, David W (IT))
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 07:25:26 -0800
The following is a summary of responses received.  Thank you to everyone
whom replied
and provided us with this valuable information.  Our library contents is now
much better :-)

 David W. Smith (David.W.Smith AT kla-tencor DOT com)

"Smith, David W (IT)" wrote:

> I'm a newbie to NetBackup, so please forgive me if this is a trivial
> question.
>
> Can anyone explain the "Mismatch Detected" and if I should be concerned
> about this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David
>
> # vmcheckxxx -rt tld -rn 1
>
>         Robot Contents          Volume Configuration
> Slot    Tape  Barcode           Media ID Barcode        Mismatch Detected
> ====    ===================     ======================  =================
>   1      Yes  D00639                                    Yes
>   2       No
>   3       No
>   4      Yes  D00595                                    Yes
>   5      Yes  D00689                                    Yes
>   6      Yes  D00620                                    Yes
>   7      Yes  W00134                                    Yes

Replies:

From: Douglas Ritschel [dritschel62 AT yahoo DOT com]

Netbackup has a different idea of what tapes are in the library. You should
select update inventory from within Media Manager.

----

From: Tim McMurphy [Tim.McMurphy AT telus DOT com]

Your library has had tapes added or moved from one slot to another. I use
this feature to load large quantities of tapes into our L700.

1) Eject tapes from the media manager window (X) just because it is easier
than finding the tapes in a 684 tape library.

2) Remove all the tapes from the CAP (mailslot). Open the door to the
library and fill all the empty slots with new tapes.

3) Close door and let the library scan itself.

4) Go to media manager and choose Robots, "Use Inventory to Update Volume
Configuration", "Show Robot Contents", "Compare Contents with Volume
Configuration" and last "Update Volume Configuration".

---

From: Larry Kingery [larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com]

Looks to me like someone added some tapes w/o updating the NBU (Media
Manager, actually) configuration.   This is not a bad thing, they just
won't get used until the update is done.

OTOH, it could be an issue.  There's not really enough detail here to
say.

Anytime you move tapes around (add, remove, move), you need to inform
NBU about what you've done.  Oh, and it's a bad idea to MOVE tapes
around inside the library if any tapes are mounted (if a tape is
mounted from slot X into drive Y, it wants to put the tape back in
slot X when it's done - if you stuck a tape in slot X, it won't be
able to unload the tape and the drive will go down).

---

From: Larry Kingery [larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com]

I think it's vmupdate.

Or you could use vmadm.

From: Donaldson, Grant [DONALDG AT tc.gc DOT ca]

Hi David,

        The "Mismatch Detected" means that your NetBackup Media Manager
database(Volume) and your Robotic Library's inventory database are out of
sync. This can happen from a variety of reasons (I'm assuming from your
output below that you have a robotic tape library). One that we have seen
occurs when you are using the Media Manager to move a tape from one slot to
another or from a CAP(Cartridge Access Port) to a slot. During the move you
get a robotic error of some sort. The effect is that your NetBackup software
thinks that the tape has been moved but the tape library knows that it is
still in the same position. Another example is when you are using Media
Manager to eject a tape from the tape library, but the CAP is full. The
software records that the tape is no longer in the silo, but the tape is
still physically in the silo.

        To correct this problem you want to use your tape library's
inventory list to update NetBackup's volume database:

1)  Do whatever your tape library needs to perform an audit(using performing
an IPL - reset), and then go to the NetBackup Media Manager.

2) On the Media Manager window select the "Robots" menu and then choose the
"Use Inventory to Update Volume Configuration" sub-menu option.

3) Select your "Robot on host" entry. Ensure that the "Interactive" check
box(middle-right hand side of the screen)is active so that you will be
prompted before the system will make any changes to your Volume database.

4) Press the "Update Volume Configuration" button.

You should now be in sync with the actual contents of your robotic library.

Hope this helps.
Grant
Transport Canada

---

From: dayal singh [dayalsd AT lycos DOT com]

 If Volume database does not match with tape library contents, you will get
mismatch detected.

1)Update the volume database

vmupdate -rn <robot number> -rt tld -rh <robot host> -vh <volume database
host >

2)check the contents again

Dayal

From: Skip Farmer [cfarmer AT veritas DOT com]

David,

Did not see a response to this but I may have missed this:

A mismatch means that on an inventory of the robot, what the robot think it
has compared to what NetBackup thinks it has do not match. Most common cause
is that someone moved tapes around in the library and did not update the
inventory. In this case, it looks like these tapes were never added into
NetBackup. They need to be!

Skip