Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU master server catalog size concerns

2001-11-26 13:45:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU master server catalog size concerns
From: gyurchak AT veritas DOT com (Gregg Yurchak)
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 13:45:27 -0500
Catalog efficiency is always on the drawing board when regarding future
plans for NetBackup.  There is a serious downside to this as well, being
that generally the more efficient you make the catalog, the more complex it
also becomes.  Right now, it is very hard to screw up the catalog so bad you
make recovery impossible.  When your site blows up, or you migrate master
servers, or add or remove media servers, it's a very easy task.  I'm always
100% confident when going into DR tests, or doing conversions, that things
may not always go as planned, but we will be able to make it work.  That's a
good thing that I'd like to stay with (but your opinion probably outweighs
mine for future direction).  Right now, many customers will add another
master to reduce complexity and increase overall performance long before
they hit an issue with catalog size.  We also have customers with one master
and many, many media servers, with a huge catalog who want more efficiency,
and VERITAS is working on that problem.

Thanks,
Gregg Yurchak
VERITAS Professional Services