Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU master server catalog size concerns

2001-11-26 11:29:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU master server catalog size concerns
From: larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com (Larry Kingery)
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 11:29:56 -0500 (EST)
The master size can become an issue.  At around 20GB, it can take an
hour or so to backup (or restore), and during that time no backups can
be initiated.   When it gets to the point where it will no longer fit
on a single tape, you have to add a second step to the database backup
process.

The layout of the "database" is just a hierarchy of files.  There are
of course a few which are critical in that they affect the whole
system, but the vast majority (both in size and number) have no
dependence on each other.  They're just files, and if one gets dinged
you can restore it from backup, or scan the tape, etc.

You've got a long time before you have anything to worry about.
Personally, I'd take some time to walk through the DR process (chap 5,
troubleshooting guide) and make sure your catalog backups are
configured correctly and restorable, and document the process in your
own words.