Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] inconsistent (?) catalog backups

2001-11-15 10:47:24
Subject: [Veritas-bu] inconsistent (?) catalog backups
From: david AT xbpadm-commands DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 09:47:24 -0600
What I do to ensure I get a good backup for my client's DR is the following

ps -ef | grep bprd | grep -v grep
if [ $? = 0 ]; then
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bprdreq -terminate
if [ $? != 0 ];then
echo "CANNOT TERMINATE BPRD, THE CATALOG BACKUP MAY BE QUESTIONABLE IF WE
CONTINUE" >> LOGFILE
exit 1
else
echo "Successfully terminated bprd. No backup jobs will run during the DB
backup" >> LOGFILE
fi
fi
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpdbjobs -M $MASTER_SERVER -report |
egrep -i "Active" > /dev/null
#
#       Set variable NOJOBS to the return code of previous line
#       if it returned a zero (0), then the condition of the
#       until loop is met.  If not, we stay in the until
#       loop until it is met, sleeping for 10 minutes each
#       time the condition is not met
#
#
#
NOJOBS=$?
until [ $NOJOBS -ne 0 ]
        do
         sleep 600
         $ADMCMD/bpdbjobs -M $MASTER_SERVER report | egrep -i "Active"
>/dev/null
         NOJOBS=$?
        done
# Backup Databases here
        echo "Backing up NBU Databases"
bpbackupdb -blah -blah -blah

# then after its done
# Re-starting the Request Daemon
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/initbprd
if [ $? = 0 ];then
echo "Successfully started bprd. All backup jobs will run when scheduled" >>
$LOGFILE
else
echo "The request daemon, bprd, failed to start.  No backup jobs will run"
>> $LOGFILE
fi

That should do it for you.

I would think snapping it would have the same inherent problems.  If you
stopped bprd as above and waited for all jobs to complete, snapped it, then
restarted bprd you'd be safe.

David

David A. Chapa
NetBackup Consultant
DataStaff, Inc.
http://www.consulting.datastaff.com
847 413 1144
NBU-LSERV AT datastaff DOT com - Adv. Scripting
http://www.xbpadm-commands.com