Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Question: Do I need to use Volume Pools or not?

2001-11-06 16:41:42
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Question: Do I need to use Volume Pools or not?
From: larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com (Larry Kingery)
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 16:41:42 -0500 (EST)
You can use a single pool, and I recommend that you do, unless you
have a reason to use more than one.  For example, if you had some data
that needed to go offsite, and some that couldn't, then you'd need two
pools.

NBU will by default break up the data onto different sets of tapes
(possibly all in the same pool) based on retention.  You can have the
same pool in multiple robots/stu's (otherwise how would 'any available
storage unit' work?).

When you "readd" the tapes into the library, you won't be changing the
pool.  You're actually 'moving' them, not 'adding' them.  Since pool
has nothing to do with location (that's volume group), there's no need
to mess with changing the pool.

HTH,