Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Novell?

2001-10-25 02:48:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Novell?
From: miriam AT techunix.technion.ac DOT il (Miriam Ben-Haim)
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 08:48:29 +0200 (IST)
On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Shinn Wu wrote:

>We have Sun E250 running Solaris 7, NetBackup 3.2GA as master server.  The
>Novell part is used to be taken care by the a guy who is leaving.  We
>changed the Novell system password but all the backups failed with '71'
>status, I remembered the guy fixed something like it before when he was
>upgrading Novell boxes but I didn't pay attention.  Would someone please
>tell me how the change of system password is related to target unable to
>find files in the file list?  Thanks for helping....

Hi,

Changing system password in Novell target backups requires re-defining
all the targets, because the coded password is kept in the target
definition file and is checked before the backup starts.

Re-defining the targets is a very annoying process. It is documented in
the User's guide of NBU Novell NW Target version.

Basically - you run the bp.nlm from the console and have to repeat all
the details again and again for each target (=volume). If you are going
to do it now - you will also have to make sure you give each volume the
same target name as it had previously, otherwise your restores might
have inconsistencies.

How many Novell servers do you have? Since we have more than 50 in the
campus with hundreds of targets, we created a special account with all
the supervisor privileges for the target definitions. The account is
hidden, and has a very long password, and we used it to define all the
targets. We never change its password. This allows the sys admins of
the different Novell-s to change their supervisor pw without the need to
re-define the targets each time.

If you need more help - let me know, and also indicate which Novell
version you have.  Unfortunately - it's a process that I've done too
many times, so I know it too well.

        Miriam

 Miriam Ben-Haim                 E-mail: miriam AT technion.ac DOT il
 Unix Systems                    Phone : +972-4-8292177
 Taub Computer Center            Fax   : +972-4-8236212
 Technion - Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa 32000, ISRAEL