Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SOLUTION: Oracle RMAN on NB 3.2 vs 3.4

2001-10-22 15:15:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SOLUTION: Oracle RMAN on NB 3.2 vs 3.4
From: tallen201 AT hotmail DOT com (Tim Allen)
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 15:15:11 -0400
Hello.

I was wondering if you have had any problems since your change?

I was seeing a similar problem, and even thought it was cause since the one
class I'd tested with did have max jobs/client set to default 1.  I set it
to 99 and I still have the same problem with db restores.  Four tapes will
be placed in the drives and only one sometimes two will be read the other
two are never read and the restore eventually dies to no throughput.

"We ran several tests with a smaller database using various
combinations and everything worked fine.  Combinations included:

8.0.6 RMAN catalog backing up an 8.0.6 database
8.1.7 RMAN catalog backing up an 8.0.6 database
8.1.7 RMAN catalog backing up an 8.1.7 database

The database that was successful is small and all datafiles were cooked
file system.  The database that is failing is 450gb and datafiles are
all raw partitions.  The latest failure was an 8.1.7 RMAN catalog
backing up an 8.0.6 database.  We've never had a successful restore of
this database with any of the above combinations.

Two raw partitions were created on our test database
(15gb in size for each).  I loaded about 500m of data on each tablespace
within the raw partition and successfully backed up the database.

The restore, however, hung (behavior we're seeing on the 450gb database
with raw partitions). The rman catalog is 8.0.6 and the database is also
8.0.6.  "

Thanks for any help.
Tim