Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Fragment size settings

2001-10-18 12:00:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Fragment size settings
From: larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com (Larry Kingery)
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 12:00:36 -0400 (EDT)
It's a good default setting.  Whether or not fragmenting helps you
restore faster depends on a combination of data type and input
pattern, use of multiplexing, and availability of fast locate.

The costs of using fragments of finite size are practically
non-existent.  You wasted a couple of file marks per 2GB image worth
of tape space.  The database gets a tiny bit bigger as it tracks each
fragment (maybe 60B per frag).

The benefit of using fragments is that when it does help, it will
often reduce the tape positioning time during restore from very large
values (measured in hours or portions there of) to a few minutes.

Personally, I see no reason not to use 1-2GB fragments, and possible
huge benefits.

But, be reasonable on the size.  Setting them too small doesn't buy
much (reduce search time from 5 min to 4, for example), and used to
cause extra work during db cleaning.

--
Larry Kingery
      3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.