Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Immediately Backup DB while backups are running?

2001-10-16 14:02:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Immediately Backup DB while backups are running?
From: sixbury AT celeritas DOT com (Sixbury, Dan)
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 13:02:37 -0500
If you have NetBackup Database backups scheduled to run after each session
of scheduled backups,
1. Is NetBackup smart enough to queue the NB DB backup between other backups
that are scheduled?
2. If the NetBackup DB backup tries to run while another backup is running,
does the NB DB backup wait in queue or does it fail, or does it run and if
it runs does this mean that it is an invalid backup?

I have typically scheduled the NetBackup database backups from cron and used
the command line options to backup the database at a time that I know other
backups are not running.  I just want to know what happens when other
backups are running or get queued to run how NetBackup handles those
situations.  Especially how NetBackup handles the "after each session of
scheduled backups".  The other thought here is that if we have multiplexing
and multiple schedules, we could have 4 different backups running and each
ending at a different time with no period of inactivity between start and
finish of the four backups.

So far as Media servers.  If you keep all of the volume database information
on the master server, what does the media server provide that needs to be
backed up?  I thought that the only thing that should be configured on the
Media servers should be the storage unit, and then have all classes, backup
policies, media pools, etc. configured on the master.  What am I missing if
one of the media servers doesn't get a NetBackup db backup?

Thanks,
Dan