Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How to Relocate the Catalogs on Win2000

2001-10-12 19:03:54
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How to Relocate the Catalogs on Win2000
From: Anthony.Soprano AT Home DOT Com (Anthony Soprano)
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 19:03:54 -0400
I have done this with ease...  Assume NBU_INSTALL is to d:\Veritas and
nothing else critial is on d:\

1. stop nbu
2. create new partition <destination drive for nbu_install> and assign drive
letter j: (disk mgr)
3. COPY data from d:\veritas to j:\veritas (explorer or use xcopy)
4. assign d: drive a new drive letter, say k: (disk mgr)
5. change j: drive to use d: drive letter (disk mgr)
6. start nbu
7. if the operation fails, to back out you must get the old d: back to be d:
(should be k: drive in example)

WARNING since the catalog is compressed using ntfs compression the copy may
not recompress on the target disk of the copy...  I am not sure if xcopy can
preserve the compression or not.  In my experience I had to manually
recompress the images.  NBU will NOT re-compress them since it stores this
info in the image header file and it will still _appear_ to be compressed as
far as NBU is concerned...

A.S.