Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] TIR & Archive Bit

2001-10-12 15:43:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] TIR & Archive Bit
From: Brian_Drager AT Vanguard DOT com (Brian_Drager AT Vanguard DOT com)
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 15:43:56 -0400
I been seeing a lot of emails about TIR and Archive Bit. I'm not sure if we are
appraching this the right way but this is what we are doing.

We have turned off Archive Bit on all our NT clients. We do a Full system backup
once a month. We do Cumulative backups the other three weekends of the month and
then we do another Full system backup. Monday thru Friday we do differential
Incremental backups. We also have TIR checked as an option. We never do a True
Image Restore so should we turn off TIR so that differential incremental backups
will run faster?

I know that if we need to do a Restore on a Thursday or so that each restore
will be a separate job like applying the full firrst and then the cum backup
along with any differential backups on top of that. It will also restore deleted
files that a user may have deleted to clean up a server.

With TIR you need only to kick off one backup and restores everything until last
backup. Any cleanup thats been done will still remain the same after TIR restore
is completed. If I'm wrong please correct me. Where does the Archive Bit come
into play. We were told we need to turn it off if we are going to mix and match
with Full backups once a month and cum backups the other three weekends of the
month.

Thanks

Brian