Veritas-bu

AW: [Veritas-bu] Incrementals with TIR and without Archive Bit back up almost full images

2001-10-12 12:23:07
Subject: AW: [Veritas-bu] Incrementals with TIR and without Archive Bit back up almost full images
From: Gerd.Leibrock AT KNO-BS DOT de (Gerd.Leibrock AT KNO-BS DOT de)
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 18:23:07 +0200
Dan,

thank you for your reply. Our NBU version is 3.4.1.

Sorry, but I cant agree with you.

As I said in my first mail, the archive bit is not a secure base for backups
because everybody can set or unset it.

TIR backups are necessary for point in time restores because otherwise
-you will have restored deleted files  (deleted files will of course be
restored if they were not deleted before the point in time of the restore)
-you will not have restored moved and renamed files and
- newly installed files will not be restored because they arent backed up at
all.

Imagine your users have deleted a lot of files in a lot of different
directories, if you restore without TIR your users will be very confused.

Imagine your users have moved files and directories and your restore doesnt
reflect this: they will look for their files and dont find them.

And your users wouldnt understand it if you would declare that their newly
installed files are simply lost.

So I think TIR ackups are a must.

Gerd Leibrock
EDV-Systemprogrammierung

Koch, Neff & Oetinger & Co. GmbH
Schockenriedstraße 37
70565 Stuttgart

Telefon:        +49 711 7860 2393
Fax:            +49 711 7819834 2393
E-Mail:         mailto:Gerd.Leibrock AT kno-bs DOT de
Internet:       http://www.buchkatalog.de