Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Help, lost control file

2001-10-12 09:29:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Help, lost control file
From: sixbury AT celeritas DOT com (Sixbury, Dan)
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 08:29:37 -0500
Hopefully you created the database with more than one control file.  If you
did, the recovery operation is easy.  First look at the initSID.ora file
where SID is your Oracle SID and there should be a line in the file with
control_files = (ctrl1, ctrl2, ctrl3) or something similar.  A full path is
generally given.
First make sure that there are not any Oracle processes running.  Then use
an OS copy command to copy a control file that is good to the location where
you lost your control file.  Another option would be to remove the bad
control file from the initSID.ora file, and start the database without
recovery of your lost control file. I recommend making a copy of the control
file and starting the database so that if you lose a control file again, you
can have a backup copy ready to use.

Dan Sixbury