Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Restoring to an Alternate Novell Target

2001-10-04 16:11:44
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Restoring to an Alternate Novell Target
From: dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com (Dennis Dwyer)
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 16:11:44 -0400
Environment:

(2) Sun E450 Master Servers
NetBackup 3.2GA
L11000 Robotic Library attached to (1) Master
L700 Robotic Library attached to (1) Master

I am backing up about 70 or so Novell NetWare servers using NetWare Target
Clients. The methodology employed is NBU Master servers located in two
different data centers and no server is backed up to the Master that resides at
the same location. This give me off-site storage without all the ejects and
person-handling.

On a regular basis I can restore data from one NetWare client to another
without performing any of the extraordinary tasks described in the NetWare
User's Guide regarding restores to alternate clients. It seems that as long as
the source server and target server were backed up by the same Master, doing
alternate restores just by entering the alternate server name in the "Client to
restore to" box on the GUI works fine. All of my client targets are set up and
named exactly the same.

What I'd like to do is to be able to restore a directory backed up to one
master to an alternate client that was backed up by the other master. I'm
having a problem getting that to work. I've tried manipulating the master
server on the clients but that seems to have had no effect. The restore job
kicks off and the tape gets mounted and loads, but it immediately rewinds and
gets put away. At this point the restore progress window shows the message
"Waiting for mount of media XXXXXX" and never does another thing. I end up
canceling the job.

I should also add that the target server is a new NetWare server specifically
for the purpose of restoring GroupWise Post Offices being investigated. This
server has the NetWare client installed and is set up the same as any of my
other NetWare servers. It has never been backed up by NetBackup and probably
never will be. To that end, there are no entries for it under clients on either
of the Master servers.

Anybody got any ideas on how I can accomplish this?

Regards,
Dennis

Quote: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it right

Dennis F. Dwyer
Enterprise Storage Manager
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice