Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SAN media vs "regular" media & SSO

2001-09-28 17:44:17
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SAN media vs "regular" media & SSO
From: gyurchak AT veritas DOT com (Gregg Yurchak)
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 17:44:17 -0400
Two points here.

You said in 1. "looks like a SAN media server can back only itself up and
not clients".  This is legally true, but I don't believe there's any real
different code between it and a regular media server, so I believe you can
physically use it to back up clients.

As for 4., you can configure all your drives, but if they're all busy, your
jobs will error out instead of queueing (although this can be fixed with
"queue on error" and the others).  But again, this is really violating what
you're supposed to do with the product.  It'd be the same as having only two
media servers, and leaving one drive out of the total storage unit drive
count so jobs would automatically queue.

Thanks,
Gregg Yurchak
VERITAS Professional Services
Biloxi, MS