Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Server Name Change

2001-09-27 09:11:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Server Name Change
From: RYAN_ANDERSON AT udlp DOT com (RYAN_ANDERSON AT udlp DOT com)
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 08:11:00 -0500
      Date:  09/27/2001  08:11 am  (Thursday)
      From:  Ryan Anderson
        To:  "\"James Laurie\" <jlaurie AT csu DOT org> at
             INTERNET".MN-CCGate.DM-MN-05;  "Louis.Silvia AT ssa DOT gov at
             INTERNET".MN-CCGate.DM-MN-05;
             "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu at
             INTERNET".MN-CCGate.DM-MN-05
   Subject:  Re: [Veritas-bu] Server Name Change

Hold on there... Don't change the hostname of the NBU Master until you've
read this:

In particular, pay attention to this part of it:

"Please note:  This procedure should not be performed, and is not
supported by VERITAS in a situation where the new server's hostname will
different from the hostname on the old server, without the assistance of
VERITAS Consulting onsite.  Please contact a VERITAS sales consultant for
information."

Hope this helps.

RCA

--
Ryan C. Anderson
Unix Administrator

>>> "James Laurie" <jlaurie AT csu DOT org> at INTERNET 09/26/01 02:43PM >>>
> I am running Netbackup Datacenter 3.4 on HPUX -11 backup server. > The
server name and IP address is going to change on Friday. > The
configuration is master server and one client, both are directly >
attached to the tape drives in a P3000.
> The Master server is the server that will be changed.
> Is there an easy way to make this transition?
>
> Lou Silvia
> Data Storage
> S.S.A.

Lou,

I found an August post to this list entitled "Migration of Master server"
the latest response being from L R (Leo) Labonte.
I myself tried a migration from one server to another which failed
miserably because I tried to copy the NBU database from one server to the
other, rather than do a bprecover from a DB tape copy. The errors I
received involved a reference to the previous robotic host rather than the
hostname of the new robotic host for all my existing tape media. I'd be
interested in finding how your migration goes.

Jim