Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBackup 3.4 & Control M Scheduler

2001-09-26 15:11:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup 3.4 & Control M Scheduler
From: Scott.Chapman AT icbc DOT com (Chapman, Scott)
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 12:11:49 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01C146BF.17A03E00

We are using Control M to kick off our backups.  It works fine.  I am =
not
sure that I would implement this if it wasn't already set up when I =
took
over the backup here.  However, it allows our operations staff (24hour
support with minimal netbackup training) to restart backups if there =
are any
problems.  Depending on how you implement the use of contol m will =
define
how you configure your classes.  You will need classes regardless, =
however,
the schedule definition will change depending on your implentation.

It makes our large multiple stream backups easy to schedule and =
control.
But since this was setup when I took over the backup at this site, I =
haven't
really researched how much scripting was required or if it would be =
just as
easy to do through netbackup.

The one problem with it is that since you don't really have proper =
windows
scheduled through netbackup, you will be handicapping some of the =
reporter features . . .

Hope this helps.

Scott Chapman=20
Enterprise Computing - UNIX Support
ICBC - Victoria=20
Ph: 250.414.7650=A0 Fax: 250.978.8003=20