Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: Veritas-bu digest, Vol 1 #687 - 2 msgs

2001-09-21 14:16:31
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: Veritas-bu digest, Vol 1 #687 - 2 msgs
From: mike.marcell AT pni DOT com (mike.marcell AT pni DOT com)
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 11:16:31 -0700
We had the same problems with our database backups. We were approaching
60gb on size and with our current tapes of 75gb size, were about to run
into problems, not to mention the biggest problems was that it would take
several hours to backup the database which would happen during the day when
most of the restores needed to take place, ending up getting killed and
having no db backup.

I implemented the Multiple-Tape backups (see NBU 3.4 Sys Admin Guide, pg
158).  It's worked great for us so far, although I've not had to restore so
I can't comment there.  We went from db backups of several hours to around
15 minutes...

Basically, you split the catalog backup into a 2 piece process. One where
you set up a regular netbackup class that will do a normal full backup on
the majority of data in the images directory on the master, and you modify
the db backup to then only backup the media servers and the remainder of
the media manager catalog files on the master.  I then set up a cron job to
run this once daily.  You change the catalog backup to schedule only when
manually initiated so that it won't run after every schedule.   The 1st
part of the backup still takes several hours, but the portion where the
database disallows other backups is only a small amount of time (~20 min, I
think).  Plus it allows you to span multiple tapes.

It does make the restore process a bit more tricky, but it details all of
this in the manual.

Has anyone else done this and had either success or problems with doing so?
It's working for us now, in that previously if we had a critical restore to
do, the db backup would get killed so we had nothing.

Hope that helps.

  Mike Marcell                                      The Arizona Republic
  mike.marcell AT pni DOT com                  Systems Database Administrator
  Phone:  (602)  444-4958                  Fax: (602)  444-8010
  Pager:   (602)  409-6248                  Cell: (602) 568-1893

   1. Re: Database Backup (Scott Jacobson)
Message: 1