Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Large delays in tape manipulation With DB Extensions

2001-09-18 15:34:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Large delays in tape manipulation With DB Extensions
From: VChristiansen AT GEICO DOT COM (Christiansen, Valor)
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 15:34:29 -0400
My environment is Solaris 2.6 with a Qualstar 88264 library with 8 LTO
drives.  A master server and 8 media servers.

My DBAs are complaining that when backing up an Informix database, there is
a large amount of time spent manipulating the tape and very little time
dumping the dbspaces.  What we see is:

*       Tape mounted and positioned
*       Initial dbspace gets dumped in first job
*       Next job takes off
*       Up to 4 minutes spent positioning the tape to the next file.  I
assume it must be rewinding and then forward spacing to the end of the
current data, to set up for writing.
*       4 seconds dumping the dbspace
*       Next job takes off
*       Again up to 4 minutes positioning tape to next file
*       Another 3-4 seconds dumping the dbspace

How can I eliminate all of the file positioning and get the database dumped
more efficiently?

Val Christiansen